Mattress Performance (Carry That Weight) is a work of endurance performance art that began on September 2, 2014, and ended on May 27, 2015. It consists of multiple parts:
- Wall Painting: the Rules of Engagement painted in black on the walls of the studio provided by Columbia University.
- Objects: one mattress, multiple waterproof mattress covers, a pair of winter gloves, and other related artifacts/ephemera.
- Performance: my execution of the Rules of Engagement, using the objects.
- Public Response: includes everything from the publication of news and media articles to my interactions with others -- i.e. the relational aesthetics.
- Diary: an approx. 60,000-word Microsoft Word Document in which I chronicled moments and experiences that stood out to me throughout the performance.